Fortaleza, Inc. is an organization established in 2017 to examine and address persistent educational
and opportunity equity gaps between Latino students and other racial and ethnic student groups in
K-12 educational systems in Lowell. In response to the troubling disparities in student outcomes,
Fortaleza arose to examine educational outcomes data and to engage with Latino students and their
The Director of Advocacy is responsible for developing and implementing Fortaleza’s advocacy
and community engagement strategies to advance Latino student success. The Director implements
policies and practices established by the board of directors and grants specifications. Moreover,
the Director analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of the community organizing work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Lead the development and implementation of Fortaleza’s advocacy strategies and
practices in collaboration with the Board of Directors and stakeholders.
● Create and maintain parent and student network databases.
● Oversee grant applications/proposals, working directly with the board of directors, staff,
and consultants as appropriate.
● Engage in ongoing research, and data analysis with research partners, board members,
education partners, and other stakeholders. Utilize research findings to create and
implement data-driven policy solutions to promote the advancement of educational equity
for Latino students.
● Develop and implement civic engagement and advocacy strategy grounded in grassroots
engagement, and social justice aligned with the Fortaleza policy agenda.
● Build and maintain trusted working relationships with elected and appointed leaders,
Lowell Public School administrators, and decision-makers to inform and persuade them
on educational policy issues. Oversee and supervise the parents and youth organizing
● Utilize thought leadership strategies, including op-eds, as part of the civic engagement
and advocacy plan.
● Other advocacy activities as assigned by the Board of Directors in line with Fortaleza’s
mission and vision.
Required Skills and Experience:
● Experience working in education, business, or non-profit preferred.
● Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Social Work, Public Policy, Community
Psychology, Business, or a related field
● Dynamic, collaborative leader with the ability to plan, train, motivate, and support civic
● Highly organized, results-driven, self-starter with a passion for empowering the voices of
● Strong analytical thinking, strategic planning, problem-solving, organizational skills and
project management experience
● Bilingual in English and Spanish and able to translate all communications into Spanish.
● Experience or comfortable with public speaking
● Ability to effectively communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and
● Ability to effectively collaborate with various stakeholders throughout the community to
advance Fortaleza’s mission and vision, including but not limited to education authorities
and elected officials.
● Must possess the ability to work with changing priorities and simultaneously handle
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and brief cover letter to
Fortaleza, Inc. does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed),
gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual
orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but
are not limited to, the appointment to and termination from its Board of Directors, hiring and
firing of staff or contractors, selection of volunteers, selection of vendors, and providing of
Fortaleza Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We shall not discriminate and will not
discriminate in employment, recruitment, Board membership, advertisements for employment,
compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against
any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender
expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or
military status, or for any other discriminatory reason.